Six reasons to be excited about the Champions Trophy
There seems to be a general air of Meh about the Champions Trophy that starts next week. I don’t understand it.
Here’s six reasons to be excited about the Champions Trophy – humour me a little ……
1) 120 of the best International cricketers are all in the same place. All in blighty. All at the same time. OK so it’s not the Olympics – but it’s an International tournament and it’s in the UK.
2) After much trying, the ICC have stumbled upon a format that works. 3 weeks start to finish. Bish bash bosh.
3) Although ticket sales in Cardiff have been slower than the Oval or Edgbaston, there will still be big crowds. Big noisy crowds. Especially for matches like India v Pakistan.
4) How often do you get tickets for an international sporting event at a price that no-one can legitimately moan about? Not very often – The ticket prices for this tournament are beyond reasonable.
5) OK so not everyone will agree with me but 50 over cricket can still provide tremendous excitement. (I type that despite sitting here at Lord’s watching a particularly crap ODI between England and NZ). But remember England v India tied match? Australia v West Indies in 1996? OK – there are a lot of one sided games too but that can happen in any cricket
6) England really do have a decent chance of actually winning this one. Even without KP.